Monday, April 2, 2007

Is he stupid or what?

Let's do a bit of introductions first before I proceed with my story. The company I'm working in is huge and they practise this hierarchy thingy ALL the time. To make things simple, I'll summarize and simplify them as below.

Ok. As you can see here, the hierarchy makes it VERY obvious the proper channel of communication. The big boss is of coz, the CEO, then followed by Senior Managers, then Managers and so on all the way down the hierarchy chart. I stopped at group F cuz if I am to go further down I won't have enough space..nor the patience to type them. LOL

I started off as an Engineer, which placed me in group E. Within 1 year I moved to group D cuz I was offered to become a Project Engineer. Initially, I was placed under one of the Senior Managers and thus I got direct instructions and assignments from him. I used to hear all sorts of horror stories about working under him but I paid no particular attention to them cuz I don't normally believe anything until I experienced it myself.

To my pleasant surprise, the Senior Manager (let's call him Owl) is a very good boss, full of responsibility, a great leader, willing to teach and always give advice whenever you need it. And he takes good care of his subordinates. Period. No hanky panky stuffs. No need to lick his shoes or polish them or anything. As long as you know your shit, then you'd be able to survive under his scrutiny. He is very strict, does have very high requirements, and an even higher targets but hey, I'm happy to comply. Life without challenges are boring ya know?

I can't say the same if the person working under him is a lazy bone, doesn't know his shits and has poor personality. He's bound to get loads of bomb from the Owl and eventually will end up getting fired. And the Owl loves to set limited time frame for the tasks he dumps. I once finished a report for him in less than 2 hours. Loads of details too. Sometimes, he wants it ASAP. Yeah. The Owl is that scarry okay. He has this murderous commanding aura around him. You can't help but respect him. A lot. *grins* If you dunno your own shit, GAME OVER.

So. That's what happened at the beginning. I was placed directly under Owl cuz he wanted to scrutinize me. My performance, my personality, my analytical skills, reactions. Everything. I was like his assistant, and always under constant exams *sigh* but, I passed all of them. Phew. He was happy to keep me in his team and I am proud to be able to make it into his team. It's one of the best. Heck, it's the best in the com. We're the freaking troubleshooters ya know? They call us Rescue 911. Or Ghostbusters. We save lives. Major. Get the point? Good.

Then, the nightmare begun. Straight after my probation under the Owl, I was then re-arranged to work directly under a Project Manager (let's call him Mousie). My first 6 months impression of the Owl was pretty impressive ya know and so, I thought that the same applies to Mousie. Wrong. I was so dumbfounded I couldn't believe hearing what I heard and seeing what I saw. Yeah, it's that bad.

If the Owl strikes me as a splendid wizard, who is also full of wisdom, it's the total opposite for Mousie. To summarize it all in one sentence : irresponsible (both in words, action and writing), dumb dumb dumb, Mr. Wise-ass and one damn bloody annoying dickhead who practices so much double standards I barely managed to stop myself from strangling him.

This is what happened today. I called him (he's been away from site for close to half a year and I'm doing most of his shits here) and informed him I need to send one of the car for servicing tomorrow. FYI, we rent most of our vehicles and the rental company requested that we send their vehicles on monthly basis for servicing as we're using it for site area and they are worried their vehicles may not keep up with the harsh usage. Hence the need for regular maintenance. And it's FOC. What's wrong with that? ANYbody with a brain should have understand this logic right?? Besides, I'm a lady. You don't want me to drive a problematic vehicle to site if you're my Project Manager would you? Come on. Be a gentlement already!!!

Anyway, the following conversation ensued (italics are my inner thoughts) :

Me : Mr. Mousie (of coz I didn't call him that lar...ai), I'm sending the car (plate number) for servicing tomorrow. Is that okay with you?
Mousie : Errr... *hesitates some more*...
Me : .....
*thinking* Got problem meh? Nothing's scheduled for tomorrow, rite? Nabeh ar! Wtf he wanna say??!??! Geezzz... like ah pek!
Mousie : Aaa...
Me : O.O Yes?
Mousie : Did anybody, I mean did the owner of the car request that you send it in for servicing?
Me : -_____-''' I won't send it for servicing if it doesn't need one. The handbrake is jammed, the car mati engine quite frequently nowadays and I want them to run a thorough check to ensure that the car is in good condition. Do you have a problem with that?
Mousie : Oh. *pauses* Like that ar. *hesitates*
Me : .......
Mousie : Errr... *hesitates*
Me : *grows impatient* Anyway, I'm sending the car for servicing tomorrow. Just wanna let you know. If you have any problems, or if any shits pop out tomorrow, you know my number. Just gimme a shout.
Mousie : .... Oh, ok.

I almost slammed the telephone. Crap! I was supposed to get permission from him ya know? It's supposed to be a less than 1 minute telephone conversation. I inform him the situation. HE makes decision. Yes. Or no. Give me reasons and I'd comply. Then end of story. But no. He has to drag it on and on. Just decide already geezzz!!! He dun dare to decide, he dun dare to say no or yes, he dun dare to do anything!!! Wah piang eh!!!

Otherwise, I would have called the Owl. But Owl is ALWAYS busy with one meeting after another and he's always travelling! I shouldn't, didn't want to bother him with petty matters such as this. Besides, I need to inform the HQ of all staff movements here including mine. I won't send it for servicing if it's peak hour here and I would have arranged for somebody else to send it if I can't step away.

I've always wondered, and I'm wondering still. How the fuck did he become a Manager??!!???? There are so many other qualified candidates in the company! Heck, even I can replace him!!! *fuming* He doesn't have any relationship with the CEO nor any of the Senior Managers. His level is not even up to Assistant Manager level! The only thing he's good at is Technical but even that has its limitations. Somebody puleeezzz humour me???? Ugh!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Learn to be patient. Patience is a time-honored virtue. Communication through the telephone sometimes don't go very well :)

"omamee" said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
"omamee" said...

val, i'm not sure if it's the same with your company or mine. but from my little experience, i think it's the same everywhere. not everyone who sits at the top earn their keep or is fully qualified. most of the times, these jackass are those who fall under these categories:
- good in boot polishing or ass licking
- good in "portraying" that they are good via verbal communications - listen to them and you think "woahhh, not bad ar this guy... knows his stuff", but in actual fact, all talk nia... no action one
- was at the right place at the right time... some of the managers where i worked, came in when the company was in desperate need of ppl. thus, whether or not they are qualified, nobody cares... we just need more arms and legs... but what they failed to understand (the mgmt) is that these ppl are soooooo damn dumb that you wouldn't believe it!
- good in ass covering... being under a crappy manager like that would also mean that your performance could be shielded from Mr. Owl given that his direct report's Mr. Mousie. sometimes, when the bosses suck big time, they compensate by hiring competent ppl... in business terms, it's called "leadership" and the power of "delegation"

if you ask me... fuck it man! just promote whoever who can do the job and fuck the hierarchy... fart also must ask permission from manager issit? wtf??? aren't we in a super competitive world these days? if these incompetent assholes continue to be in existence... how is one supposed to be efficient???

Neil Tan said...

incompetent bosses are the norm nowadays. I can go on for hours complaining bout mine. :) maybe i should..........then we can compare whose boss is worse :P

KiBiKiBi said...

bengbeng : it's not just conversation through telephone, it's the same whether by e-mail, phone calls, face to face, or fax. He's a dumbass. I suspect he has major communication problems. More than half of the time, he doesn't even know shit what peps are talking about.

maemee : yeah, I agree with you. It's the same everywhere, but maybe just slightly different from company to company. But the fundamentals/basics are the same. Haha.

These are my opinion on your comments:- ;P

- good in boot polishing or ass licking
* well, dear Mousie's not into boot polishing or ass licking. He's too darn straight & honest, everyone branded him stooopiddd!

- good in "portraying" that they are good via verbal communications
* uh uh. No way. Mousie's NEVER good in portraying anything. He can't even do a PRESENTATION in a meeting for crying out loud. My eyes went as big as saucers & I had my most UNBELIEVABLE face ON when I found THAT out. And his Engeris sucks BIG TIME. I drafted most of his correspondence, the reports, the minutes of meetings, all major documents (Owl specifically instructed me to check all his writings for spelling & grammar errors). UGH!!!!

- listen to them and you think "woahhh, not bad ar this guy... knows his stuff", but in actual fact, all talk nia... no action one
* hmm... Mousie's sorta half breed on this. He's not good in communication but he's the Prince in procrastinating. eg He delivered some of the documents that I told him that needed to be done almost 2 years ago, yesterday. Fuck man!

- was at the right place at the right time... some of the managers where i worked, came in when the company was in desperate need of ppl. thus, whether or not they are qualified, nobody cares... we just need more arms and legs... but what they failed to understand (the mgmt) is that these ppl are soooooo damn dumb that you wouldn't believe it!
* O.o I think he fits in here! But still that doesn't quite explain it. Heck. I'm still speechless. O__o

- good in ass covering... being under a crappy manager like that would also mean that your performance could be shielded from Mr. Owl given that his direct report's Mr. Mousie. sometimes, when the bosses suck big time, they compensate by hiring competent ppl... in business terms, it's called "leadership" and the power of "delegation"
* ass covering? Let's see. I found out that he changed the documents/works that I did, and then replaced my name with his name and submitted the work to the top management. He made it look as if he did the work and should be credited, but heck. I found it out and was furious! Guess what? I got the hints from Owl. He found it first, and was giggling to himself when I went to see him. He's amused! I think dear Owl can imagine me strangling the Mousie. I prayed fervently that I did major mistakes in the documents & top management would have HIM answering their questions!!! Tiu.

And about performance report? Both the Owl and Mousie marks my performance. I once whined to Owl that Mousie is soooo gonna screw me in HIS report. This kinda pissed the Owl. He said "What are you worrying about? I'm here. He can't do anything to you!"

I'm relieved! Haha. =D

Neil Tan : Hey!!! You should!!! Post it up in your blog! We certainly can compare notes!!! *snickers*