Sunday, September 2, 2007

weird pronunciations...

Have you ever noticed the weird pronunciations some people use when conversing in English? Especially those from foreign countries? I've had several encounters but what baffled me the most are the pronunciation of Philippines. No matter how highly educated they are they always, ALWAYS pronounce certain words differently. And man, they always baffle me. Really.

Examples of their pronunciations:

Example 1
What they said : Let's fuck them!
What they really meant : Let's fax them!

Hint : They were talking about faxing the letters to a certain somebody.

O.O'' Don't believe me? Really. They pronounced fax as fuck. I got the shock of my life when they said that in front of me. I looked at them and asked "Excuse me?! Who do you wanna fuck??!"

They roared in laughter when they realized what I was thinking. Geez!

Example 2
What they said : Where's your bug door?
What they really meant : Where's your back door?

Hint : They were actually talking about exit doors. I nearly banged my head to the nearest wall because I look like a total idiot staring at them, asking them again and again what was it that they really want. In the end, I made them spell the damn word out. Grrr...

Well, it's sad to say that I'm always exhausted after talking with them for long hours because I'm worried that my pronunciations will go haywire. Normally, I'll try talking to other people in English (with proper pronunciation) just to get rid of the stupid Philippine accent that somehow contaminated my system. I'm worried sick that I'd end up with pronunciations like them! Aaarrrggghhh!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hehehe... next time we chat in proper english also, yes?