Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Do I know you?

How many times have you come across people who greeted you cheerfully as if they've known you for years and you have absolutely no idea who they are? Or perhaps the said person somehow seems familiar but you simply can't remember where or when you've met them even if your life depended on it?

I always have that problem. I'm very poor in recognizing people and most often than not, I always greeted the wrong person. After making the same mistakes several times (and embarrassing the living daylights out of myself) I've finally succumbed to NOT greet them at all. Even if they look VERY familiar to me. As long as I'm not sure who they are, I'm all quiet and silent. Maybe I'll flash them a polite smile. Maybe. Just maybe.

I mean what do you normally do in such a situation? Apologizing sounds like a jerk. If you ask them who they are then you'd ended up looking dumb. And forgetful. And careless. If you ignore them then you're arrogant. So what to do?

I was greeted by a middle aged looking gentleman this morning while I was having my breakfast of porridge in the kopitiam near my office. Running out of option, I just stared at him as if he's just popped out of nowhere (he really just popped out of nowhere). He looked surprised and asked me:-

Him : Why didn't you join us for bible study anymore?
Me : O.o ... Oh, I've been very busy. (so he's one of the church member)
Him : Oh I see.
Me : .......

He disappeared just as suddenly as he appeared. I dunno where the heck he went after the words exchange.

So, does that mean staring works? Another option would be to just sit there and looking dumbly at him until he offered some sort of explanation. Question is, can I really do that? Can I muster up enough courage to look dumb enough to just get the stupid clue out of whoever it is standing in front of me?

Maybe not.

Then again, simply asking them "Who are you?" or "Do I know you?" or "Have we met before?" sounds very rude. No? Don't you agree?

I dunno what else to do. And I hate it each time I'm caught in situations like these. It's very... uncomfortable. *sigh* -___-'' What say you?

No comments: