Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Hectic day

Today has been one heck of a day. Got a call from Mr. Owl as early as 7.30 AM to get things ready and rolling.

A VIP was going to visit our site this morning and so lotsa preparations need to be done to welcome him. Not only that. All my big bosses were gonna be present as well. Yeah, including Mr. Owl and Mr. Mousie.

The preparations are : Refreshments. Print outs. Presentations/briefings. Lunch reservations. PPE (Personal Protection Equipments) sets.

I made arrangements for most of them except for the presentation/briefing.

The weather was so dang nice this morning. All sunny and hot. Why won't it rain when there's a site visit by VIP huh? I wish it rained this morning. That would be a great change of event. I would have loved to see the site visit being cancelled or maybe a sight of vips running helter skelter in the rain. Kakaka.

At the appointed time though, the VIP came to site. Whoa. A punctual one. That's a first. Sharp. He came with several cars in tow. *sigh* And more guests. Uninvited ones. Not to mention the reporters. Geez. They sure has great sources huh?

I heard comments that I'm chubby. Chubby red cheeks. So cute.

Godamn. I was so... what's the word... insulted? Pissed? Ai. I mean I can certainly deal with having 'cute' as a compliment, but chubby? CHUBBY?!

*broods*

*pouts*

*sigh*

Anyway, the visit went okay. Even though there were many reporters and many uninvited guests. I guess we just can't help it. Can't really shoo them away ya know? What to do, just deal with it lor.

I'm kinda glad that the reporters didn't approach me. Although I noticed some of them nodding and pointing towards me. Of coz, they were eyeing the fliers that I held in my hand. These were meant for the VIPs IF and WHEN they asked for it. Since those reporters didn't make any move towards me, I might as well just hold onto them right? They are NOT VIPs. No point giving information to them so that they can twist them AND publish them in newspaper. Such nuisance. Pah!

I couldn't be happier than when the whole ordeal was over. I mean, imagine standing there whole morning under the hot blazing sun, following my boss and the VIPs everywhere they went on the site. I had to do that in case they needed something. I'm the person to prepare them. I'm supposed to swallow whatever requests they had, crunch them and spit out the answers and whatever it is that they needed on the spot. *sigh*

For lunch, we went to the restaurant that I scouted last Friday. It has to be halal and it has to have nice environment with air-cond and nice yummy food. My bosses are picky lor. Initially ordered AND confirmed 3 tables but in the end settled for 2 only. It was kinda hard to cancel the third table. I called about one half hour before the time we were supposed to have lunch this morning and the conversation went like this :

Me : Harlow, xxxxxx. Just wanna re-confirm with you hor. Only need 2 tables now, can ar?
Her : Har, only 2 ? How about the third one?
Me : Cancelled wor. Most of the vips can't make it. Got meeting somewhere else.
Her : Like tat. But I prepared some of the dishes already. How?
Me : O.O Like what?
Her : Ayam stim (Translate : Steam chicken)
Me : Oh. Like this lar. I'll pay for 2 tables full. I can't pay for the third table full, but I'll pay you for the ayam stim, can?
Her : How about my other dishes?
Me : Wei. Dun tell me you prepared them already. There's no way you cook one half hour before the appointed time right? I'll pay for the ayam stim. Cash. Anything else that we may order later on just add on, ok?
Her : Like that ar? Ok ok.
Me : Sorry for the trouble. We really were expecting close to 4 tables. But they just can't make it.
Her : Nvm. Thanks for telling me in advance.
Me : Oooo. No problem. Bai.

I really thought she was going to kill me. Strangle me. Marah me. But no. She said tenkiu. So nice.

Mr. Bee laughed at me. You hantu ar you. She should have scolded you cuz you cancelled the tables but she thanked you instead. You have a way with people eh? Next time I wanna go makan you better arrange ar. Hahaha!

Yes. He's probably right. I'm quite a hantu. I oso dunno why she's not mad at me. Maybe today's my lucky day?

I tried to get feedback from my bosses and to my delight they were happy with the food. They asked how did I manage to get so many dishes at such low price. I just replied "I pushed them hard hard mar" *paiseh*

Whatever happened to the extra ayam stim? I tapao them and chia (translate : treat) the site workers makan. Of coz I told them it's courtesy of my boss. It's for all the hard work they've done so far. They were grateful and was grinning from ear to ear. I'm touched.

Next time if I managed to become a boss, I'll make sure I take good care of my workers. The smile on their faces is worth it all. For me though, it's the satisfaction of the job delivered. With good quality.

Today has turned out to be quite a nice day. Albeit a little hectic and tiring. But heh, I luv that!

No comments: