Friday, February 9, 2007

Memories : Letters. Forgotten letters.

Say, do you keep things from your past? Memories. Letters. To friends, from friends. I was cleaning my room for Chinese New Year (CNY) just now and came across whole box of letters. Cards. Notes. Memos. All from friends. Those letters accummulated over a period of 15 years. Birthday cards. Cny cards. Christmas cards. And here comes what I hate the most--> Valentine's card. All lovey dovey. Euuu!!! Those are the first ones I chucked away! Now don't get me wrong. Those aren't from my bf. I NEVER had bf, okay? If you don't believe me, nevermind. No one does!!! I have a hard time understanding & believing why. *sigh* But, I'll share that some other time. Not now. *grins*

Second in line's the birthday cards. Awww... I appreciate the cards really, but eh, they remind me of how young and vibrant I was. Let's make it simpler. They make me feel old. Now, how does that sound to you? Every gal alive on this planet will say NO NO NO. I hate feeling OLD! So I threw them out. For good. But I made sure I remember the names of the senders. Really!!! I have good ways of remembering things. Sentimental things ok. I'm super sentimental. Do you know how builders do the foundations or construct structures? They drive piles onto the earth to set (Engineering terminology..just leave it be ok? Me very lazy to explain now, less I forget what I wanna write.. ^^), build those formworks (ya know, those wooden planks/plywoods used to form boxes to hold concrete), install the reinforcement bars and then just pour concrete in and wait for it to harden in time? For me, the reinforcement bars are the memories, the formwork my brain and concrete are there to ensure the memories stay put. Haha. Weird huh? I'm weird in many ways. ;p

Next is the.. *holds breath* ..CNY and Christmas cards. Year after year. Until the number suddenly dwindles down to zero. Haha. You wonder why? Well, it's the information age, where practically everybody knows how to send an E-Card. Why needa waste money to buy cards when you can send an E-Card free of charge (foc) wor? Rite? So, one by one, they stopped sending me CNY and Christmas cards. Me too. Hehehe. Hafta reciprocate mar. Can save money wor. That's gotta be good, rite?

Then came the letters. Memos. Notes. Stickers. Damn. This is the MOST difficult part. Soooo reluctant to throw them away. But I needa clear up space in my room! I almost have no place left to store anything. Hafta chuck lotsa things out! Those letters included. Guess what? I sieved through them ever so carefully. They are all precious to me, but I can't keep them all. Like what Pua Chu Kang's wife Rossie said (I quote from one of their many episodes. Uh. If memory serves me right) "You keep keep keep those things can turn into GOLD meh?"

*thinks hard hard*

Yalor hor. What for keep rite? They can't turn into gold mar. What's important are the things you keep close to your heart. Told you I'm sentimental. I remember most of my childhood days in such vivid details. I remember my primary + secondary + college + university days clearly as if they just happened yesterday. Sometimes, I wish I have lousy memories. I wish I can't remember. Because along with the good memories came the bad ones. The pain of reopening old wounds are unbearable ya know? But that's another story for another time. Full stop. =P

I spent so much time re-reading all the letters, carefully picking out a selected few for keepsake before chucking away the rest of them. Some of those letters bring a smile to my face, some tears too. But that's life. You can't have all the good things without the bads. They come together in a package. Just gotta take them all. *sigh*

Tomorrow I'm gonna clear the newspapers, throw away all those papers/notes/memos/whatnots, rearrange the clothes and books and cds and all those cluttered files in my room. It's such a mess (p/s: my room looks as if it has been struck by two hurricanes... Oh my Gawd!!!) and I'm ashamed to call myself a lady. Ugh! Hope I get this done by tomorrow, or I'll never hear the end of it from my mum. -___-'' Which, serves me right. God Bless my poor mama. ^o^

So, do you keep letters from the past to yourself? Letters from best buddies? Love letters? Too bad I never have bf, otherwise I'll blog about that too! =p

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing over cny. Ended up didnt throw away anything... tsk tsk tsk..

KiBiKiBi said...

ooo... threw them I did, so tat's another accomplishment. muahahaha